Thursday 13 May 2021

A Tribute to Ricky Walter, Mahindra Logistics



Ramesh Kumar from Greater Noida


16 September 2014. 

Sun has completed his daily task and checked out enabling the waning last quarter moon to enter subtly with least visibility. 

Ulhas Ambegaonkar, my room mate at the hotel in Baddi, Himachal Pradesh, was twiddling his thumb, anxiously looking at me for an answer.

His query: Do I know Ricky Walter? Have I ever met him before? 

The simple answer: No. Though a familiar name, no pehchan.

What has Ricky Walter got to do with me.... Good question. 

Under the banner of my registered trust KRK Foundation, in association with Mahindra Logistics, Indian Oil and others, we have arrived at the Himachal transport hub to celebrate Drivers Day the next day: 17 September 2014.

Ricky based out of Mumbai  was the newly minted CSR Head for Mahindra Logistics, replacing Selvan Dasaraj who was exiting the  company in a few days time. 

He has landed in Chandigarh airport that evening and on the way to Baddi, less than 70 km away to be with us to participate in the day long celebrations at multi-locations within Baddi next day.

I was a little concerned because I know not Ricky. He, an unknown entity to me but a senior executive to interact with. Single point contact at Mahindra Logistics for all CSR related activities. I must build relation with him. 

Will he be like Selvan, whom I had known for two years with whom I have travelled and known intimately? What will be his driver-friendly quotient? Selvan and I were like "rum and coke" .... 

Will I have a similar equation with Ricky? 

I was lost in thought at the Baddi hotel room with Ulhas, who travelled from Pune to be part of this function sitting next to me in the reception lobby. 

Again, Ulhas; "How well you know Ricky?" 

I know him as much as I knew you before we met three years ago, I responded.

Soon, the reception informed that Ricky had checked in. 

We were on the same floor and I knocked on his door.

With a smile and a handshake our journey began. 

Usual pleasantries but guarded. Because you don't know the other person. He knew my background and we met on earlier occasions without being introduced to each other. Such things happen all the time. 

He politely declined a dinner invite citing travel fatigue. 

So, I had to settle for dinner with Ulhas for piping hot khichdi.

***

17 September 2014.

Our first  function was a Breakfast session with Drivers at Mahindra Logistics warehouse in Baddi. It was a grand start with Ricky as the main speaker. He touched all driver  related points. and mingled well with drivers. Another unusual trait among corporate executives. They pour their heart out but when it comes to sharing space them, there is hesitation. Ricky was a carbon copy of Selvan, 100% driver-friendly. My God, half my battle won. 

Before the first session could get over, Selvan also dropped in having left Delhi four in the morning. A big relief. He will be able to provide the bridge between Ricky and me.

The next halt was at the Nallagarh Transport Association where 300 drivers were gathered for a 90-minute long marathon session with a lot of activities.

A band/dholak  was also in attendance. I always believed that drivers need entertainment, not lecture. Therefore, the presence of bandwalas at the venue. They were belting out popular foot-tapping music.

I could not resist shaking my legs. Should I or should I not? What Ricky will think of me? Will he think, I was cheap? Such questions rose in a jiffy and vanished with equal speed. 

Ricky threw a curve ball, much to my joy. As I began jiving, he joined too. So, he is not a typical corporate type. He is ready to rub shoulders with the rest of the gathering. 

It was my maiden mulaqat with Ricky. Since then, we had several interactions over phone. Pre-covid I had met him in his Chennai office. 

As member of the Friends of Driver WhatsApp group, he had recommended several like-minded people with driver interest for inclusion.

One who sympathises with the marginalised society has a place reserved for him in Heaven is my belief. Am sure Ricky has a well earned seat there.

Truly blessed to have known such a noble soul. 

Rest In Peace, Ricky! 


11 comments:

  1. It is Very Sad to know about your sudden demise Ricky, Rest in Peace bro. Prayers 🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Well articulated as always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe an active colleague and a thorough gentlemen is no more amongst us...Just the other week he called to connect me to someone with similar interests. He was always a peoples person and shall be remembered for the same.
    May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was great personality and great human being....we lost great person....RIP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I travelled my carrier with Ricky walter last couple of years.
    Excellent personality and kindness person and result oriented team player.

    I cannot believe it he is no more

    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad news. May his soul RIP.
    Though, I Selvan mentioned his name number of times but through his write-up, Rameshji has presented the real picture of Ricky Walter. Not only we, the FOD group members but the entire Driver Community has lost one of their real well-wishers. Om Shanti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe. RIP Ricky sir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A thorough gentleman. He was very easy going and someone with whom you can connect instantly. RIP Ricky Sir🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ricky was a thorough gentleman. I knew him well since our FIAT days and we used to interact a lot, he was from Marketing and I from Finance. He was customer centric and used to argue with me for customer support. His news came in as a big shock to me and I've lost a dear friend. My sincere condolences to his family members. He will be missed a lot. Ramaswamy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ricky was very close to me as I had worked with him in multiple projects. We had also travelled together to multiple sites for new projects, my memories with him is as fresh as yesterday. We all mourn the loss of a dear friend and a colleague and my condolences to his family at this unbearable loss.
    May God give their families enough strength to ride over the situation.
    RIP Ricky

    ReplyDelete