Thursday 29 April 2021

BOOKSHELF: Plato and a Platypus Walk Into A Bar - Thomas Cathcart & Daniel Klein


 Ramesh Kumar from Greater Noida

Believe me when I declare that I bought this book on 19 August 2011. Yes 10 years ago. Somehow, I did not complete the process for which the book was purchased in the first place, viz., reading. It expectedly landed on the bookshelf. 

30 months after shifting to a new home on the outskirts of the national capital (Delhi), I  was dusting my bookshelf and in the process of rearranging the collection (200 books the while rest gathering dust at the Delhi flat under lock and key), this book caught my attention, warranting me to keep it "aside". Why I did what I did, I have no idea. That act was rewarding. 

Dusting and rearranging done, reclining on the sofa, the journey of getting familiar with this book began on 28 April. Believe me the next 48 hours saw me engrossed in this unputdownable book. Wit and wisdom. The authors explain philosophy in simple terms with simplicity and lot of jokes. Yes, jokes culled from wherever possible. Relevant to the topic or titled chapter. 

Check these out (screenshots) to taste the w&w:




Every single page is a gem. So beautifully these authors explained such dull subject. Try reading any tome by any author on philosophy. Rest assured that they will be sleep inducing even before you complete the first five sentences. 

No wonder the tagline of this book jacket reads: Understanding philosophy through jokes 

Cathcart and Klein are an exception. Don't open the book as a bed-read before sleep. You will be deprived of sleep. You're warned. Don't blame me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment