Friday 28 April 2017

Always In Public!

 CHAPTER ONE



Ramesh Kumar

Pitch dark it was all around. Nothing visible. One can hardly see beyond two feet. February it was. The double carriageway National Highway 56, linking Benares or Varanasi as is popularly known with Lucknow, remained silent. No vehicles at all. I could not fathom what the time was then: four? Five? No idea. 

Anil Pandeyji’s snoring from the upper berth was discernible: loud and clear. Poor guy. He was in deep sleep. Somehow, I managed to snuggle out of the more comfortable lower berth. The fog outside had made the huge expanse of Tata truck’s front glass too opaque, adding to the sea of darkness pervading there already. Hardly a feet away, I noticed a bundle over the bonnet sandwiched between the two front seats. That ought to be Parvez Khan, second driver of the vehicle. Pandeyji, the senior most driver, commandeered the ship carrying 26 tonnes of Tata Steel’s wire rod for Ludhiana. It was a stock transfer from the company’s Jamshedpur mother plant. 

Pandeyji’s mission was to cross the 1,650 km stretch crossing five states – Chattisgarh, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab – in six days. We had been flagged off by Ramesh Benniwal, fleet commander of Credence Logistics, at the Transport Nagar in  Jamshedpur just before sunset two days ago. That’s when the entry/exit restrictions had been lifted permitting heavy commercial vehicles to ride onto the Tatanagar tarred road: National Highway 33.  

It was Valentine’s Day (February 14, 2011) and Credence’s Arvind Ambo quipped through SMS, “What a way to celebrate your Valentine’s Day in the company of drivers!” Valentine Day or no, my trip was planned well in advance. Moreover, if one has to celebrate ‘love for one’s beloved’, it can be any day. Why only February 14? 

I rubbed my eyes and succeeded in locating my spectacles, lying next to the make-shift pillow. My biological clock was working fine and it was time for bowel movement. So I surmised that it ought to be past four because for fifty five years that’s how my bowels have been functioning. Wake up at the pre-fixed hour, empty one’s bowels, brush teeth and gulp down a hot cuppa: sugarless tea or coffee. In that sequence. This programme has not changed much all my life. Why should it today?

The only hitch was that I simply had no clue as to how to extricate myself out of this narrow 8 x 5 feet Tata horse-cum-trailer cabin. No way I could get out without disturbing the young Khan tucked in a bundle over the bonnet. Gathering courage, I  hissed: “Parvez!” I did not want to wake up Pandeyji.

A startled Khan woke up and sensing my urgency, made space for me to exit and thoughtfully handed a two-litre Pepsi bottle filled up water. What else, but for morning ablutions! It was no shock for me since it was not my maiden outing on a truck. I had been on a similar binge a few months ago. The only difference was the payload and destination: the payload was eight Hyundai cars for Delhi delivery from Hyundai Motor India’s Irungattukottai manufacturing facility in Tamil Nadu and the distance was 2,800 km. With driver Umesh Rana and assistant Pinto Kumar Sahu, I had crossed Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana and Delhi over seven days. 

That’s when I realized that it would be next to impossible to look for a proper western toilet to relieve myself every morning. The young Rana – hailing from Chattisgarh – understood my predicament but could do nothing. “There’s no option, sirji,” he advised while offering a plastic bottle – a two-litre Aquafina PET bottle  – on the first night at Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu incidentally my birthplace! Tears welled up. What a shame! Am I going to defecate in public place? Even if this chore has to be done behind the bushes, still it would be a public place. 

...
This is a truncated portion of Chapter ONE of my maiden book, 10,000 KM on Indian Highways published in November 2011.

To read the full piece, write to editor@driversduniya.in 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment