Monday 30 January 2017

Jhumritelaiya's baara chakka pilot!




Ramesh Kumar from Jhumritelaiya,Jharkhand

Meet Mr Dheeraj Kumar, the helmeted guy astride two-wheeler with a pillion rider.

He came into Sri Sai Fuels, a BPCL retail outlet on NH31 Ranchi-Jhumritailaya Byepass on the 68th Republic Day, to get a 'tankful' of petrol.

Looking through the glassed front inside the administrative block 50 feet away, he drew my attention. Reason: he was the FIRST person to drive into the outlet with a helmet. Otherwise, more than 100 customers who drove in since 10 am that January wintry morning - irrespective of their age - were headless - uff, helmet-less!.

Prodded, pronto came the repartee: "hamare ghar sirf 5-6 kilometre pe hai. Helmet ka kya jaroorat hai?" They were super confident that this 5-6 km is 100% safe zone. Madame Disaster vouchsafed their safety without helmet, perhaps.

Well, that's why this helmeted guy drew my attention. I dashed across the portico and gently shook his hands, wishing him "Happy Ghantantra Diwas!" He did reciprocate with a smile after a few seconds of pleasant shock: who this oldie shaking hands, wishing (me) Republic Day!

"Naam kya hai, saab?" It was my maiden ice breaker, sensing this guy would not nudge me aside and proceed. Anyhow he has to pay for his fill to the uniformed pump attendant busy with another customer.

"Dheeraj!"

"Phoora naam... please"

"Dheeraj Kumar"

"Know why I shook hands with you? ... Because you're the first person coming into this pump on a motor bike with a helmet!"

He laughed.

"What you do?"

"Pilot!"

Pilot? My over-analytical grey cells, as usual, demanded: Which airlines - Air India or private?

"Private," responded the biker.

"Spice Jet? Jet Airways? ...."

"No, Baara chakka!" Dheeraj again.

Since when aeroplanes sporting 12 tires? Yeh kya ho raha hai?

"12 wheels?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah. Baara chakka.... am a truck driver. Own two trucks," responded he.

"But you said, "Pilot?" It's me.

My confusion was due to the fact that I have never come across a single truck driver out of the 100,000 I have met over seven years on Indian highways self-designating his job as that of a 'Pilot'.

"Haan, mein Pilot hoon. Truck driver! Do you have any objection  if I call myself 'pilot'?" he hit me hard with a beatific smile.

Arre, kya baat hai? How can I feel bad over a truck driver claiming he is a pilot. He does not know me and my current karma of uplifting the morale of truck drivers. No issues. I smiled.

"Bahut kush hui aap ka designation sun kar, Dheeraj-ji!"

Phir bi, how come he was wearing helmet in a small town like Jhumritalaiya?

Again he said: "Pilot hoon mein. I understand the safety nuances."

My cup of joy began to overflow. Seeing the lengthy pow-wow between us, Sri Sai Fuels owner Nishant Tanay (whose guest I was at his brand new fuel station where he was promoting road safety, digital payment for his customers with me in tow), came rushing from his  chamber. Luckily, it was a friendly chat and his composure cooled down.

Quietly, but quickly, Dheeraj plucked the 1x1 feet signage cardboard I was holding gifted by Maruti Suzuki's Hina Kausar, senior manager with Driver Training section to be handed over to the proposed Road Safety Club @ Jhumritelaiya under Nishant's stewardship and explained the meaning of that signage.

Yes, we were all floored. Truly, he was knowledgeable about signage. Words failed me again, warranting another handshake.

"Nishant, why not turn every single kid that enters this BPCL outlet into a concerned and understanding road safety advocate and follow rules diligently?" I asked.

"Done," was this ex-Linfox, ex-Darcl senior manager (both giant fleet owning transport companies: former, an Australian company operating in India and the second a Gurgaon-based multimodal operator) response.

"Block September 17 this year for Drivers Day celebration at this outlet. Want you here, Mentor!" said Nishant.

How can I refuse such a beautiful request? That too from someone who looks at me as a guide! Indeed a honor.

Sunday it would be on Septeber 17, 2017. Does it matter? Truck drivers are not white collar guys with a weekly offs, casual/sick or privilege leave. Their work pattern: 24x7x365. Mine too in a manner of speaking. So getting together with truck drivers on  a Sunday should pose no challenge.

Dheeraj honked requesting me give way for him to move out. I did. He waved. I too with two wishes: let my country have more citizens like Dheeraj with safety as a self interest tool and pride of what he was doing- as truck driver. This is what is called Dignity of Labour.

There need to be a self-appreciation of what one does. Be it as a condutor of orchestra or a man behind the wheels or a sweeper. The moment one feels less proud of one's career, it results in self-pity and lower self-esteem leading further a low morale.

If one does not recognize his/her own worth, how can he/she expects others to respect him/her. It's as simple as that.Dheeraj Singh is fully aware of this elementary and common-sensical aspect of life.

The writer is author of 10,000 KM on Indian Highways, Naked Banana! & An Affair With Indian Highways. He also edits DRIVERS DUNIYA, India's FIRST and ONLY long haul truck driver-focused English quarterly. He is the Founder of KRK Foundation, a Registered Trust focused on improving working and living conditions of truck drivers and their families living in remote villages of India. 
He is reachable at ramesh@konsultramesh.com




 




No comments:

Post a Comment